Already an established, well regarded winery, Jacob Williams came to me with a desire to upgrade their image for a more sophisticated clientele, without loosing the base that they had worked to create. It was agreed that we start with the logo Wordmark. Created early on, it had some serious problems as an identity. The logo Wordmark had been originally typeset as a script font that was not designed for the multiple sizes and purposes that this client required. Additionally, the original mark had some serious balance and spacing issues as well as poorly connecting letterforms that showed its flaws at a relatively small enlargement. The intent of sophistication had been lost in the original execution. Communication with the client made it clear that they had a very strong attachment to the overall intent of the original. After a good deal of research into the market and Jacob Williams competitors, including shelf appeal studies, I started sketching out directions for the word mark refresh that would provide balance, weight at all sizes without being heavy-handed, and the addition of some gold flourishes. Once a direction was agreed upon, I took on the work of redrawing the type from scratch to address the flaws in the poorly constructed original typeface.